Today was the day everyone was shooting for, the last day of demolition. We got a lot done in the four days of demo. All but 3 or 4 of the apartments' first floor was gutted. We didn't feel safe starting on the second floor and decided that the next group can tackle that. The full dumpster was still there when we arrived. I was thinking to myself "yes, let us go back" but we ended up pulling nails and cleaning up the "living room" floors. The dumpster was then picked up and unloaded so we were able to take our piles and throw them away. It was an amazing feeling to be done, knowing that we helped someone who needed it and how 30 kids (even Eric) from different places were able to come together for this one goal.
After "work" we went to a "project" area and spent some time playing with kids. It was a blast. I got in a football game with the kids and they loved playing with and against us old kids. One of the kids has some serious NFL potential and I even said "you are going to be on an NFL field someday if you keep working at this" to him. He responded with "I know". It was great!
After that we went back to "Frenchie Land" as I call it (that's the French Quarter for those of you who don't understand my humor). We ate at a really nice restaurant that is only in the Quarter. After supper we walked up and down Bourbon St. Nothing too exciting from this trip.
Tomorrow we will be rewarded with a swamp boat ride and a trip to the Mississippi Gulf coast and a beach (sorry Molly). Tomorrow will also be our last day in the New Orleans area. I seriously can't wait to come back, this city really is amazing.
I have also started to have my anti-social feelings kick in. I have been in this group of people all week and I need a small escape. This blog helps with that but there are still 15-20 people in this room. I realized that my escape will be the 10 hour drive on Saturday. Yes I would like to sit in the back rows and converse with the others but I like the isolation of the driver's seat. I have become quite the popular driver. I have 7 other people in my van and NONE of them want a different van. There have been 3 people that have been in the van since we left Lamoni and there is no way they are changing vans. Right now I think that the 7 that were with me today will be with me for the rest of the trip.
Get that kid to come to IOWA
ReplyDeleteI should have!
ReplyDelete